Is this behavior for all commands? Only display commands? Only specific
display commands?

The intended behavior is that the output of any system command be directed
to the target console (which is usually the issuing console).
I could easily picture many commands being directed to the issuing console
even when the target differs (and, no, I don't know how you identify the
target console).

As other posts have indicated, SDSF sets up the issuer as a console. The
name of the console is not all the interesting (other than as a way to
limit or give access to certain commands).  The console ID is paramount
(and is provided to the command processor to be supplied on its WTO's).

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design