From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Radoslaw Skorupka
Sent: Friday, June 4, 2021 1:32 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [External] Re: access to 9-track reel tape drive

Obviously it is possible to get (buy) 3420 compatible tape drive.
However it is not so cheap. Tape drive is connected using Bus & Tag
interface, so one would need to buy ESCON converter and FICON converter.
I just checked:
$8500 for tape drive
$130 for ESCON converted (new, Optica brand, but from some broker)
$50000 for FICON converter

Of course the prices may vary significantly.