From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Radoslaw Skorupka
Sent: Friday, June 4, 2021 8:37 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [External] Re: access to 9-track reel tape drive

OK, it can be connected to PC.
SCSI? Still available, but not very up to date. Nevermind, you can have older
PC.
However... what next?
What software to use? How to read mainframe datasets?
I'm sure there are such tools, but I don't know any.
Last, but not least: it would be easy to read text datasets, but things are
getting harder with binary formats or ADRDSSU/FDR dumps. Or other tools.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

W dniu 04.06.2021 o 15:16, Charles Mills pisze:
> I used to have an Overland Tape drive. You don't hook it up Bus & Tag <g> you
> hook it up to a PC. IIRC ours was SCSI-attached. It came with software, and
> there are APIs -- I wrote some additional software (in-house use, quick and
> dirty type stuff). You get the data off of the tape and then you send it off
> wherever you want it.
>
> Charles

The information contained in this message is confidential, protected from
disclosure and may be legally privileged.  If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
distribution, copying, or any action taken or action omitted in reliance on it,
is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this
message and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard
copy format.  Thank you.