--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

W dniu 04.06.2021 o 15:16, Charles Mills pisze:
I used to have an Overland Tape drive. You don't hook it up Bus & Tag <g> you
hook it up to a PC. IIRC ours was SCSI-attached. It came with software, and there are
APIs -- I wrote some additional software (in-house use, quick and dirty type stuff). You
get the data off of the tape and then you send it off wherever you want it.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Radoslaw Skorupka
Sent: Friday, June 4, 2021 1:32 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [External] Re: access to 9-track reel tape drive

Obviously it is possible to get (buy) 3420 compatible tape drive.
However it is not so cheap. Tape drive is connected using Bus & Tag
interface, so one would need to buy ESCON converter and FICON converter.
I just checked:
$8500 for tape drive
$130 for ESCON converted (new, Optica brand, but from some broker)
$50000 for FICON converter

Of course the prices may vary significantly.