On 2021-06-17 19:15, Rob Scott wrote:
When it comes time to change the length of a token, or locate usage occurrences, I would much prefer to hunt for Token_Len rather than determine usage context for some numeric. I would also probably feel more confident about the results.

Absolutely - let ASMA90 do the work. Magic numbers are a real
maintenance head-ache.

If there is a defined “field” and the number reflects its length, then
I would use something like “LHI   Rx,L’Token”. I feel that this helps
with the self-commenting coding style.

A minor nit, but I prefer something like “LHI Rx,value” to “LA
Rx,value” as the implication of “LA” is that you are dealing with an
address rather than a constant numerical value.

Before LHI, you could write your own macro, to give you
LA 4,7
and at the same time include a check on the magnitude of the constant.
Also, it could deal with signed constants.