On 3/14/2013 10:53 AM, zMan wrote:
Indeed -- look at CCWs: if they'd put the flags in the reserved byte
instead, we'd only have needed one format! (Well, until there's 64-bit I/O,
anyway).

Hindsight is wonderful <g> But I would have put the address in the second word, and the opcode, flags, and length in the first.

As to the Y2K problem, it appeared in other forms. I worked as a contractor at a government installation that was critically short on space (some of their master files were approaching 100 reels). They defined dates as one byte for the year, and one for the week. Then they went and made a year of zero a special flag! In hindsight they could have used a week of zero...

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, Vermont