On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 09:47:06 -0400, Gabe Goldberg wrote:

>I'm writing about "Back to the Future" for mainframers -- historic (but
>sometimes forgotten) mainframe lessons needed by and best-to-be learned
>by new mainframers (but everyone, really).

Don't underestimate the future.

The Y2K "crisis" might have been mitigated if more designers
had said, "Hey, pretty soon we're going to need 4-digit years.
Let's provide them now."  I made such a suggestion for a product
we were working on in 1987.  It was brushed off as premature.

And much of the anguish of 24-bit to 31-bit address conversion
might have been avoided if designers had thought to reserve
the top 8 bits of addresses instead of using them for flags.
Instead, many OS interfaces remain 24-bit constrained.

How many programmers are still using 31-bit branch instructions
rather than 64 because z/OS doesn't support execution above
the bar?  This year.

-- gil