From:   Anne & Lynn Wheeler <l...@garlic.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu,
Date:   03/14/2013 08:58 PM
Subject:        Re: Query for Destination z article -- mainframes back to
the future
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu>

edgould1...@comcast.net (Ed Gould) writes:
> I worked a DC in downtown Chicago in the 70's and 80's and we were
> supposedly 24X7 shop. We had power problems+ and we could not afford a
> UPS in fact at the time we would have needed a HUGE UPS to get us
> through power outages. I guess these were intermittent rather than
> lengthy. Our biggest thorn in out side was a solid state paging device
> as when it lost power you had to re-init it and re define the PLPA
> page data set. Vsam at the time was a PITA as you couldn't delete the
> pagespace unless it was already there so we ended up with 5 or 10 page
> data sets cataloged on the volume that was empty. (and no noscratch
> was ignored most of the time).
> Since we only used it for PLPA we had to IPL delete/define PLPA and
> update parmlib and then re ipl with CLPA this became a weekly
> occurrence until the big boss got tired of the extra outages and got
> rid of solid state device (sorry do not remember the vendor).

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013c.html#90 Query for Destination z article
-- mainframes back to the future

recent post about providing online 7x24 service starting in the 60s,
some of the hacks that were done to get the "cpu meter" to stop when
activity was otherwise idle (back in the days when mainframes were
rented and monthly lease was based on "cpu meter" reading):
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013c.html#91 What Makes an Architecture
Bizarre?

recent post about trying to get mutliple exposure support (multiple
device addresses per real device ... aka like on 2305 fixed-head disk
that came with 8 logical device addresses) for 3350 with fixed-head
option ... so I could overlap data transfer from the fixed head area
while disk arm was moving for non-fixed head area
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013c.html#74 relative mainframe speeds, was
What Makes an Architecture Bizarre?

I got shotdown by "Jupiter" project in POK ... which was planning on
shipping a solid state device ... and thot that I might be
competition. They were never able to announce ... since customers
started buying all the memory chips that IBM could turn out as processor
memory (and memory chips in processors had higher profit than same
memory chips in solid state device).

Internally they then started providing "IBM 1655" solid state paging
devices (initially 2305 simulation) ... 1655s were really from another
vendor ... that had developed a way to use memory chips that had failed
standard processor memory tests ... in solid state paging devices. Power
outages were no problem since had procedure that would come up and
automatigically reclaim these devices w/o requiring manual intervention
or re-ipl.

misc. past posts mentioning the (internal) 1655:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001c.html#17 database (or b-tree) page sizes
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001l.html#53 mainframe question
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002.html#31 index searching
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002i.html#17 AS/400 and MVS - clarification
please
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002l.html#40 Do any architectures use
instruction count instead of timer
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003b.html#15 Disk drives as commodities. Was
Re: Yamhill
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003b.html#17 Disk drives as commodities. Was
Re: Yamhill
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003c.html#55 HASP assembly: What the heck is
an MVT ABEND 422?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003m.html#39 S/360 undocumented instructions?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004d.html#73 DASD Architecture of the future
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004e.html#3 Expanded Storage
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005e.html#5 He Who Thought He Knew Something
About DASD
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005r.html#51 winscape?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006.html#38 Is VIO mandatory?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006c.html#1 Multiple address spaces
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006e.html#46 using 3390 mod-9s
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006k.html#57 virtual memory
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006r.html#36 REAL memory column in SDSF
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006s.html#30 Why magnetic drums was/are worse
than disks ?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007e.html#59 FBA rant
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007o.html#26 Tom's Hdw review of SSDs
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007s.html#9 Poster of computer hardware
events?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007u.html#4 Remembering the CDC 6600
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008b.html#15 Flash memory arrays
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009m.html#54 August 7, 1944: today is the
65th Anniversary of the Birth of   the  Computer
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010g.html#11 Mainframe Executive article on
the death of tape
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010g.html#22 Mainframe Executive article on
the death of tape
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010g.html#55 Mainframe Executive article on
the death of tape
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010g.html#82 [OT] What is the protocal for
GMT offset in SMTP (e-mail) header time-stamp?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010h.html#78 Software that breaks computer
hardware( was:IBM 029 service manual )
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011e.html#75 I'd forgotten what a 2305 looked
like