@Mike, thanks for the kind words.

@Grant, yes, exactly, "pure" public key is waaaaay too slow to use for a
significant file. The only practical approach is what you call "hybrid."

I would say in no event does the OP want to "roll his own" or "cobble something
together out of bits and pieces."

This problem is what FTP does for a living. Either SFTP ("SSH FTP") which I am
not real familiar with but I know works like a champ, or FTPS (FTP over TLS)
which I am very familiar with. The two are totally different options; they do
not interoperate. A client for one does not talk to a server for the other.

You need a secure (SFTP or FTPS) server at one end (sending or receiving, your
choice) and some configuration at the other end. An investment in secure FTP is
an investment in the future, not just this one problem.

You should be able to find lots of SHARE sessions and so forth on "how to
install and configure and use a secure FTP server." There is help on this forum
if necessary.

Oh! In Step 3 below, add to the sentence "... using a secure
cryptographic-quality random-number generator." Again, you don't want to roll
your own on this. Waaaay too many traps for the unwary.

Charles