From:   "Andrew Rowley" <and...@blackhillsoftware.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Date:   17/09/2021 09:26
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: RMF SMF "broken" records
Sent by:        "IBM Mainframe Discussion List" <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

On 17/09/2021 5:32 pm, Martin Packer wrote:
> Off topic but are there usable start and stop timestamps for things
running
> in BPXAS address spaces?
>
> I've wondered about z/OS Unix substeps and thingies but not had cause to
> dig too deep. (I know where I am with conventional batch jobs and steps
> when it comes to SMF - but I don't see many jobs with Unix in them.)

In many cases a whole step/substep SMF record is written, which has the
start and stop times the same as any other type 30. However it is also
possible to have many processes run in one address space, in which case
you get multiple process sections without timestamps.

It is usually possible to relate them by process ID. Where a process has
a parent process, the parent might be in the same or another address
space. The SMF record for the parent process might be produced much
later than the record for the child. Process IDs can also be reused.

I have written code to do it but it was not easy. You can see what the
results look like here:
https://www.blackhillsoftware.com/news/2019/08/27/comparing-bash-and-bin-sh-on-z-os/

That was one job that resulted in 20,000 type 30 records in 1 minute!

It would be nice if unix processes used the same service/report class
settings and charged their resources back to the parent job when the
userid/session/process group are the same. For a unix job, a lot of work
can be in the additional address spaces e.g. this script took 66 seconds
of CPU time, but only 0.02s showed up in the batch job.

--
Andrew Rowley
Black Hill Software

Unless stated otherwise above: