On 17/09/2021 6:34 pm, Martin Packer wrote:
Thanks! That's a much crisper version of what I had roughly surmised.
That's an interesting case in the blog post. I wonder if bash has been /
could be fixed. (Not that I run it on z/OS or write loops in it on Pi.)
I think it is more useful for the bash port to be as close as possible to the code that is used on other platforms, to simplify bringing bug fixes etc. into the z/OS version so I don't think it is worth trying to fix.

It's just interesting to know that for shell programming on z/OS, particularly with loops, /bin/sh might be a better choice. Significant loops in a shell script are probably unusual anyway.

I don't think it's an issue on other platforms, just a peculiarity of how z/OS creates processes.

--
Andrew Rowley
Black Hill Software