From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin [0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu]
Sent: Thursday, January 6, 2022 1:02 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: JCL (was: Python ... REXX)

On Thu, 6 Jan 2022 12:57:34 -0400, René Jansen  wrote:

>JCL ... Fred Brooks (“the worst language ever, and it happened under my
>watch”) .
>And indeed, I think witholding PL/X from customers was a very odd move, guided
>by who-knows-which motives; which did not do PL/I a lot of good, unfortunately.

I conjecture fear of competition from RCA(?)  Others(?)
I don't know the chronology.  I have long conjectured that if IBM
had opened PL/X early enough, C would have been unnecessary.

A colleague told me that SuperC was coded in PL/X and runs
alike on MVS and OS/2.  (Was an NDA breached or could that
have been inferred from eyecatchers in the modules?)

-- gil