FYI,

Prior to converting from a System-3 to a 4331 running DOS/VS, IBM dropped a line-mode remote terminal into our shop. This would be about 1981. We edited programs and JCL using it for about 4 months before we finally got our 4331.

Until this discussion, I had kinda forgotten this experience. Alan's comments paged those memories back into main storage. Having used a remote line-mode terminal, I now understand the history of TRUNC 71.

Tony Thigpen