From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Alan Altmark [alan_altm...@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2022 12:27 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: XEDIT assembler continuation lines

On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 17:47:31 +0000, Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:
>Bummer. Maybe someone from IBM can shed light on the issue.

I speculate that this was to prevent INSERT and CHANGE from overlaying column
72 by accident when editing in line mode.  When you're ready to put in
continuation characters, do  TRUNC 72 # CL :72 # COVERLAY X # REPEAT n # TRUNC
71.

Naturally we all updated our profiles once 3270s showed up, so it turned into a
non-issue.

Alan Altmark
IBM