Someone who has been on this list worked for an IVP that published STC's
written in COBOL.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of CM Poncelet
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2022 5:59 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: PL/I question

AFAIK The reason PL/I was not 'more popular' was its high license fee.

Meanwhile, I've known people use even COBOL to write/maintain system code.

As for me, I wrote all system code in assembler - bar adhoc stuff, as in
to be executed once only (e.g. to convert CICS DFHCSD [?] RDO-defined
LU2 connections and sessions to their equivalent assembler DFHTCT
entries and macros,) which I then wrote in PL/I to save time.

Not sure about PL/I being considered "too slow": it *could* be compiled
with the 'optimize' [or similar] option, in the 1980's.