All this discussion brings back long-ago memories. As a student, we had a 407
in the same room as a 1620 and a new 1410 was in the next room. I used a rather
minimal Fortran on the 1620, Autocoder on the 1410 (and basic machine
instructions on the 1410 when it was in 1401 mode). I had a student job as an
operator (for the 1410) and the boss suggested I learn a little 407
"programming" if I was interested. We had extra 407 boards and LOTS of wires
and almost no 407 users except for listing punched cards (which were the
primary output of the 1620!)
My "thinking" (if it could be called that) was in 1410 mode (mostly Autocoder)
and I simply could not reasonably grasp how to program a useful function on the
407. The thought process was so different.
Hummmm. I also remember the 1401 Fortran compiler we used for small student
Fortran jobs. It was impressive in those days. I seem to remember it was all
in-memory processing with the compiled program replacing the compiler (a little
at a time) and then the job executed. The compiler was read again (from a 7330)
for the next job.  Things have certainly changed over the years.

Bill Ogden