If the drives from the CECs have been pulled, it's a boat anchor. You can't get the license restored that was stored there.

Tony Thigpen

Enzo D'Amato wrote on 6/13/22 09:31:
The unit still does have the two mini pc HMCs. I am not too concerned about the
optics, as this can be fixed quite easily (either by putting a new card in the
mainframe, or just hooking it up to a cheap ficon switch). I know that none of
the components have been pulled, other than the drives, which were removed for
data security reasons. The drives have been pulled from everything (disk
shelves, power controllers, and possibly the HMCs). I will see if I can power
it on/get someone to power it on. If it comes with the microcode CDs, can I
restore these without the chaperone?

Thank you,
Enzo Damato
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of P H
<parwez_ha...@hotmail.com>
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2022 5:34 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Restore DS8884 firmware without ibm support contract

In addition to the excellent points made by Timothy, you will have to do
additional checks.

It seems that this DS8K might have been used to sell off individual components
as 'spares'.

Does it still have the embedded HMC?

What type of FICON adaptors does it have (SX or LX). From previous discussions
your z114 has SX. The DS8K end also needs to be SX.

Regards

Parwez Hamid​