From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
kekronbekron [000002dee3fcae33-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2022 10:38 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: RIsks of sharing FICON adapters between LPARs on the same host

Somebody mixing up the IODF is a far bigger problem for the LPARs operationally
first... let alone security.
If a CHPID is shared between the 2 LPARs, then yes, the pipe is shared.

But is it a security "gotcha"? Unlikely to hell and back.
I think this goes down to microcode and I would bet that IBM test these things
out for 'leaks' thoroughly.

Anyway, if you do let your security know that the CHPID is shared, be prepared
for many months and years of isolated CHPID talk, etc.

Do correct me if I'm wrong:

LPAR <-> unit <-> control unit <-> chpid <-> pchid <-> FC switch

I don't believe there's room for a "whoopsie, I sent to this LPAR instead".
Can't quite explain it clearly.
Someone like Timothy Sipples can do that magic!

- KB