With interest rates rising, Fintech is in serious trouble. That’s why the
stocks are down drastically. Add in that the accounts aren’t backed by the
government and Fintech is basically unregulated & the coming insolvencies will
be painful. Kind of like crypto. Everything that emanates from Silicon Valley
is not golden. Saw a similar ending with the internet bubble. Zero interest
rates creates bubbles. You can’t keep building economic growth via ever
increasing levels of debt. The ending is always painful. I remember when Uber &
Lyft were disrupting the transportation industry. Now, after 10’s of billions
in losses, and the stocks below their IPO price, reality is setting in.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Sunday, June 19, 2022, 2:36 AM, David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 19/06/2022 5:23 am, Enzo D'Amato wrote:
> I also agree, but as a non-insider, I wanted to know what others were
> thinking. I also belive that in most cases, the effort spent trying to get
> off the mainframe would be better spent actually fixing the code running on
> it in the first place. Moving around broken code doesn't automatically fix it.

It's not just about fixing broken code. If you read the ING CIO's
remarks about why they wanted off the mainframe it's not about the
platform. Nobody denies that mainframes are insanely brilliant hardware
platforms. ING wanted to get rid of batch and move towards an event
driven architecture using pub/sub where they can easily deploy loosely
coupled micro-services to provide cutting edge products. The technology
stacks are built on open source such as Kafka, MongoDB, Cassandra, NiFi,
Avro etc.  The retail banking industry has been disrupted by fintechs so
waiting for an overnight batch schedule for settlements is a competitive
disadvantage.  Cracking open and modernizing 50-60 year old COBOL batch
applications is a VERY heavy lift.

https://www.theregister.com/2016/07/01/ing_mainframe_strategy/ <- read
the comments section. It's hilarious :)

The doubly whammy is there's a skills crisis slowly unraveling. In the
last year we've had 3 key resources move to 3 day weeks with a view to
retiring. Replacing highly skilled assembler programmers with deep
subsystem knowledge is proving to be difficult. Young people don't want
to learn HLASM as they consider it a dead-end. Their position is "why
invest 3-4 years learning a language that is useless if you move to
another industry?" I can't comment about COBOL application developers.

In 10 years time I expect the mainframe to be alive and kicking and
significantly modernized. The small/medium shops will probably be all
gone. When I first moved to my current town in 1998 there were 25-30
mainframe sites. Now there are 3 and 1 is on life support. One of our
customers re-platformed their CICS/COBOL/Batch applications from a z9 to
a single blade server. It doesn't make any sense financially for a small
site to run a mainframe.
https://www.itnews.com.au/news/wa-insurance-commission-decommissions-mainframe-322780