>>I tried this in Rexx.  I found it astonishingly hard to get "the end of the
>>current month".

DFSORT has plethora of date related functions that can get the last day of
month, Quarter and year quite easily in either Gregorian format or Julian
format.

//STEP0100 EXEC PGM=SORT
//SYSOUT   DD SYSOUT=*
//SORTIN   DD *
ABC
//SORTOUT  DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN    DD *
  OPTION COPY
  INREC OVERLAY=(DATE1,                          # current date
                 X,                              # Space
                 01,08,Y4T,LASTDAYM,TOGREG=Y4T,  # Lastday of month
                 X,                              # Space
                 01,08,Y4T,LASTDAYQ,TOGREG=Y4T,  # Lastday of Qaurter
                 X,                              # Space
                 01,08,Y4T,LASTDAYY,TOGREG=Y4T)  # Lastday of year

/*

Output

20220630 20220630 20220630 20221231

/* Not tested for December, January, or February.  */

DFSORT does the date validation considering leap years and can process the date
from 0001-01-01 thru 9999-12-31

Thanks,
Kolusu