I sit on the fence regarding command line vs ISPF panels.

Command line can be a life saver if you screw up your logon procedure. I've
seen many people use CONCAT type ISPF panels and add a load library to the
source library ISP and boom. At that point, it's handy to understand the
RENAME command or good old fashioned TSO EDIT.

I have a whole collection of handy ISPF panel driven utilities and use the
excellent Frank Clarke IMBED utilities. This makes them extremely portable,
everything in one piece of REXX code, no need to go looking for panels,
messages and skeletons in random places.

Wayne V. Bickerdike