I always ask permission before downloading CBT tools or anything else like
that, or my own free tools.  In days of old, I backed it up to 3480 carts.
Then TSO XMIT of my PDSes and keeping them on a USB drive.  I have seen USBs
locked down, but that hasn't been a problem for me.

If I was doing an ad-hoc consultant gig with a specific task or tasks and they
wanted me to re-invent the wheel for simple JCL or have to constantly ask about
things that I could easily figure out with SHOWMVS, IPLINFO or do things
quicker with PDS86 etc. etc., it is their money and my hourly rate and I would
do what they wanted.   So far, I've never had anyone ever tell me I couldn't
use non-APF authorized freeware to help get my job done.  That being consulting
or as an employee.

What I don't do is suggest to or put freeware as part of any production
process, job etc.  That includes very useful tools, but I still won't do it.
Sysprog use only, fine.  Production use, no.

Oh, and I always do leave my personal (mostly) JCL PDS when I leave a shop.
Nothing "secret" or copyrighted in there, just years and years of helpful
samples, doc, etc. that is part of what my client gets by hiring me.

Regards,

Mark
ITIL v3 Foundation Certified
mailto:m...@mzelden.com