On 29/3/23 22:16, Robert Prins wrote:
  On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 at 11:20, Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:

"You can write FORTRAN in any language."

Too be fair, much of what I take for granted in PL/I control structures
was not in the original version, and IBM rejected the original SHARE
requirement for a CASE statement.

But the SELECT statement that they added (before my time) later beats the
crap out of CASE in C & Pascal.

No argument there but it still only supports scalars. It's pretty dusty when compared to structural pattern matching such as Pythons match [1] or Kotlins when expression or similar in any modern programming language.

[1] https://peps.python.org/pep-0636/
[2] https://kotlinlang.org/docs/control-flow.html#when-expression

Robert