Find out what they're trying to do "as superuser".
Based on the hint you provide, that it's an FTP-like product, the requirement might be for authentication and/or authorization. In traditional Unix environments, that's a legitimate use of UID 0 (even though, yeah, too much authority to the application). But on z/OS there are safer ways to perform authentication (and/or authorization).

It's frustrating to hear about this. The demand for UID 0 and related privilege escalations has led to all sorts of countermeasures, most of which have created additional problems.

I run most services each under their own service account.
There are too many ways to selectively escalate for mention in this email.
Find out what this vendor really needs. They're going to have to tell you. It's fair for you to tell them "no UID(0)".

-- R; <><