The goal is to OPEN the DD name that is already allocated in the JCL, but with
one select/assign and FD, in COBOL.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2023 2:53 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: COBOL to dynamic DD name

On Fri, 28 Apr 2023 19:37:39 +0000, Schmitt, Michael wrote:

>I know how to have a COBOL program on z/OS use a data set name that isn't
>determined until runtime, via an environment variable. My question is can you
>use one file (i.e. one select/assign and one FD) to write to different DD
>names, that were already allocated in the JCL?
>
>I can't find a way, and in the manual the syntax for the environment variable
>method requires a DSN or PATH, no option for a DD name.

Do you know the DSN or PATH?

Do you want to specify the DD name or let Dynalloc choose one?

Do BPXWDYN keys RTDDN and INFO help you?  BPXWDYN can be called with OS
standard linkage.
<https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.5.0?topic=services-bpxwdyn-text-interface-dynamic-allocation-dynamic-output>

--
gil