IBM announced their intentions on the LLVM several years ago. It’s a win/win as
they can do more with less. There is a huge community of Clang/LLVM committers
who are top notch engineers.

The announcement had the following sentence which may elude to future plans to
support data sets.
https://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2020-June/142174.html

        "The tentative plan is to initially support the z/OS Unix System
Services (z/OS UNIX) interface with EBCDIC and ASCII 64-bit code generation”

IMO, the majority of C/C++ programmers on z/OS who are doing active development
don’t care about MVS data sets. I’ve spend over a decade building C/C++
applications using make or CMake in a shell. To me having to run a batch job
and then use SDSF or browse a data set for viewing listings is unproductive. To
millennials using JCL to compile a program is weird. It depends on your
experience and perspective.

These modern compilers matter a lot more the C++ programmers then C. Modern C++
is a new language and XL C++ does not support it. From IBM’s POV, if the open
source community can do 70% of the lifting they have a great result.