The only time I have seen NIP messages (those messages prior to VARY
CN(*),ACTIVATE being accepted) on a native MVS LPAR was when the NIP device
defined in the IODF was not available, I believe due to some cabling
issues. In that situation, all NIP messages were routed to the SE/HMC
System Console. I had requested the NIP device be removed from IODF years
before, for that exact purpose, to assist with automation that uses
SYSCONS, and/or for diagnostics, but due to Fear/Uncertainty/Doubt, the
request was flatly denied.

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.4.0?topic=system-nip-console
"If no NIP console is defined and ready, MVS™ will use the system console
as the NIP-time console."

I have zero experience with zVM, so I do not know if that NIP message
behavior is the same when MVS is running as a guest. I just figured I would
pass along my anecdotal observations.