> On Saturday, July 29, 2023 at 12:18:04 PM PDT, Tom Brennan
 > <t...@tombrennansoftware.com> wrote:
> Where does "1,600 PCIe slots" come from?
If I calculated max configurable PCIe slots correctly, 4 CPC drawers * 12 PCIe+
fanout adapters * 2 fanout ports per adapter * 16 PCIe+ slots in each drawer =
1,536 PCIe+ slots. Sorry that I couldn't remember the exact number but I also
said PCIe instead of PCIe+. PCIe by other manufactures comes in 8, 16 & 32
wires (called lanes where each lane transmits 1 bit). I suspect that PCIe+ is
64 lanes transmitting 64 bits simultaneously. These are beasts compared to PC
PCIe slots but the implementation is the same.

On page 22 of https://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg248950.pdf

Fanouts
  - Each CPC drawer supports up to 12 PCIe+ fanout adapters to connect to
    the PCIe+ I/O drawers, and Integrated Coupling Adapter Short Reach
    (ICA SR) coupling links:
   – A 2-port Peripheral Component Interconnect Express (PCIe) 16 GBps I/O
fanout.
       Each port supports one domain in the 16-slot PCIe+ I/O drawers
. – ICA SR1.1 and ICA SR PCIe fanouts for coupling links (two links of 8 GBps
each).