> On Saturday, July 29, 2023 at 02:36:12 PM PDT, Rick Troth <tro...@gmail.com>
 > wrote:

 > Your inquiry is (understandably) somewhat of a reaction against

> unfortunate trends in public thinking.

IBM doesn't have a definition. I can't define mainframe because the only
distinction I could find is design philosophy. Surely people in this group can
define mainframe. Like z16, all modern computers have a CPU, RAM and PCIe
slots. What criteria do people in this group use to identify a mainframe?

> Your #2 is a miss. Hardware *does* make a mainframe: channelized I/O

Like IBM, other manufacturers now build multi-disk PCIe cards which provide
some form of channel support. Installing these cards does not make them a
mainframe. Channel support may not be on the level of IBM but it's still
channels. IBM has chosen PCIe for all expansion whereas other manufactures
chose additional support thru SATA, IDE and various other techniques. Granted
that IBM makes far better implementation choices but are we saying that
mainframe comes down to simple choices?