On 7/29/23 5:47 PM, Rick Troth wrote:
Xwindows is used by Linux because it had been developed widely and was common on Unix when Linux came into popular view. Xwindows itself is an excellent development. Sadly, Xwindows is way to "chatty" and has other issues.

I'm curious to know what you're thinking if you'd be willing to elaborate.

(But the reactions against it from the security community are WAY out of line, MUCH to aggressive. Xwindows is not and evil back door for the hackers. But I digress.)

X11 is not good.  I don't know how /bad/ it is.

I think the biggest thing is that most people don't think about it at all. As such it has a way of biting many people.

X11 has a couple of authentication methods, per IP and MIT Magic Cookie. Per IP is problematic when you have multiple users on either IP. MIT Magic Cookie tends to help this and make t hings more per user. But I don't think as many people use MIT Magic Cookie as should. Almost all of the tutorials I've seen online still do things per IP or simply open up X11 to the any IP that can connect to it.

Despite the authentication issue, X11 makes it too easy for a client that can access the X11 display server to copy the screen to a file, manipulate the clipboard, capture keys, read / mess with the mouse, and various other surprising things.

You're right: z/OS already does Xwindows. Mac doesn't use Xwindows, but its fore-runner NeXT did X just fine. (personal experience)

macOS doesn't use X11 /by/ /default/. But my understanding is that there are many ways to add X11 on top of -- what I think is called - Coco (?) -- thereby making it behave similar to Linux (et al.) and Windows with an X11 display server.

MS Windows doesn't do X, but there are numerous utilities bridging the gap. (Personally I go for CYGWIN/X when corp IT doesn't get in the way. Works great!) I rarely use X based apps on MVS, but I've used them occasionally for more than two decades. (Even used X from CMS. Tell the ARS Technica guy *that*, will ya?)

I'm curious what X11 based applications you ran as clients on MVS / CMS.

The nice thing about Xwindows is that it's the same from one platform to the next.

That's not as true as it used to be.

X11 used to be both BIGendian & littleENDIAN and supported byte swapping on the fly. That functionality was disabled by default in a recent change (within the last year) and now must be enabled with a command line option on the X server.

Newer X11 servers should support older X11 clients. I'm not as sure about the other way around. Especially when you get to older releases or even X10.

Geek that I am, I started recompiling the compiler. (Gotta have the latest compiler for everything else. Besides, Linux is "open source", right?) Mike was more sporty. He brought up DOOM. We had to borrow a nearby Sun workstation (I forget which model). There was no BITMAPPED DISPLAY on the mainframe. But the beauty of this story is that DOOM was essentially the first application to run on Linux/390 native (outside of IBM).

LOL

Grant. . . .