On 7/31/23 8:06 AM, Rick Troth wrote:
per-user automount does not necessarily waste space

IMHO automount is completely independent of shared / separate per user disk space.

The thing which is mounted might be a sub-directory of a shared space.

Agreed.

Also, automount is not exclusively for user home directories. It's great for selected program products.

ABSOLUTELY agreed.

I've got nearly half a dozen auto-mounts on a number of systems, only one of which is the home directory.

I've even got automount managing /boot on Linux. It doesn't need to be mounted all the time. If it's not mounted, it's a lot more difficult to get corrupted.

N.B. automount doesn't protect against file access / deletion / modification as automounts design goal is to mount the necessary file system to enable said A/D/M. Much like RAID is not a backup.

---
Grant. . . .