Andrew Rowley wrote:

> Disk space is cheap. Data is valuable. People are expensive.

This is absurd. Not all disk is cheap (e.g. GDPS). Not all data is valuable.
While a person may be expensive, not everything they do is of value to the
business and worth the hidden expenses.

> I started on MVS in 1991, so it's a bit late to tell me that.
> I've *been* the storage admin.

You can't be serious about being a storage admin. Every situation and company
are different. Questions must be asked. How do you not understand adding 100GB
to a filesystem has an impact on GDPS, HSM, backups, recovery and much more. If
you believe, everything is created equal, 100GB has the same impact on a 10GB
or 10TB filesystem. A file system may contain millions of Unix files but its 1
MVS dataset. Recovery of a filesystem is risky at the best of times but add
100GB increases the risks and may impact the nightly archival time (1 Unix file
change causes HSM to backup the entire filesystem). If as you say, data is
valuable, then the UNIX backup would be used. I could go on but I expect this
should be obvious.
    On Tuesday, August 15, 2023 at 03:40:26 AM PDT, Andrew Rowley
<and...@blackhillsoftware.com> wrote:

 On 15/08/2023 10:09 am, Jon Perryman wrote:
> This is z/OS with SYSPROGS, not Unix with sysadmins where programmers have
> full control to define reasonable. You keep asking the wrong question. Who
> (not what) determines reasonable. Right or wrong, it is their job, not yours.
> If you can't give up control of sysprog duties, then z/OS is not the OS for
> you.

I started on MVS in 1991, so it's a bit late to tell me that. I've
*been* the storage admin.

Without evidence to the contrary, its a good idea to assume the fact
that your colleagues are being paid means that they are doing work
valuable to the business, and it's not the storage admin's job to veto
it because it requires too much DASD space.

Its the storage admin's job to make sure that other people are not
prevented from doing their work due to a lack of disk space. It's one of
those jobs where the better you do, the less people know you're there.

Disk space is cheap. Data is valuable. People are expensive. Don't waste
expensive people time managing empty space. Spend your time looking
after the valuable data, and have enough free space that people don't
need to stop what they are doing and set up a meeting with the storage
admin group.

--
Andrew Rowley
Black Hill Software