> However it is not reality show or beauty contest, rather I'd like to see some real advantages of automount.

Last week I learned of a peculiar use of automount in z/OS which is different from my experience and which a storage admin might truly dislike: auto-create a (possibly large, in any case yet another to manage) USS filespace for each user.
Yuck.
So I get it that some find automount counter productive.

My experience has always been quite different, whether with z/OS or elsewhere. The mounted objects are often sub-directories of a shared space (advantage: NOT creating countless additional spaces to manage). The mounted objects are called for on-demand (advantage: NOT requiring a large table of filesystems to mount when the system starts).

I was blown away the first time I ran 'df' on USS. So many things mounted!
And many of them were program products. As a long time Unix person and sometime Unix admin, I do find program products to be excellent candidates for their own mount point (whether also their own physical space or shared). Automounter could dramatically reduce the number of things needing mount at boot time.

My first experience with automounter was for user home directories (in that case, always residing in shared spaces on the back end). But that was the time of shared workstations: a users home dir was not mounted until she signed on.

-- R; <><

On 8/5/23 09:08, Radoslaw Skorupka wrote:
W dniu 04.08.2023 o 22:04, Jon Perryman pisze:
  > On Monday, July 31, 2023 at 08:29:07 AM PDT, Radoslaw Skorupka wrote:

Regarding automount feature: IMHO it is less than useless.
While there is truth to what you say about automount, there are uses where people find it useful because it provides features that some customers need. Most notably, everything in a filesystem is randomly placed within that filesystem without any controls. Ask a z/OS storage admin if he could tolerate the same situation where all z/OS datasets are placed randomly (no SMS nor disk esoterics).

I asked storage admin (myself) and heard NO. Automount changes nothing to what you described (and what is IMHO disputable, but this is different thread). Oh, BTW: I met many other storage admins in my career. No one liked automount feature, usually they didn't express any opinion, but sometimes they complain on that. However it is not reality show or beauty contest, rather I'd like to see some real advantages of automount.