> Yes.&whatever. As I wrote before, there's way too much "take this job and
> find the 27 places that say XYZZY and change them to the right HLQ." instead
> of "Run it with these variables set as follows". This makes creating and
> documenting SMP/E installs a lot more work than they should need to be.

Yup, there's often lots of JCL samples to be massaged to perform an SMP/E
install.  Create CSIs, allocate target and dlib data sets, update DDDEF
entries, ...  Which is one of the reasons why z/OSMF Software Management and
Portable Software Instances exist.  Any provider (not just IBM) can create a
Portable Software Instance containing their software product using z/OSMF and
distribute it to their clients, and the clients can install the software
contained in the Portable Software Instance using z/OSMF.  No JCL massaging
required.

Kurt Quackenbush
IBM  |  z/OS SMP/E and z/OSMF Software Management  |  ku...@us.ibm.com

Chuck Norris never uses CHECK when he applies PTFs.