> "take this job and find the 27 places that say XYZZY and change them to the
> right HLQ."

The // SET XYZZY= statement addresses your 27 places issue. Are you asking for
a symbol in the CSI itself rather than in the job?

> Consider installing products on other operating systems:

What other systems?

> you run the installer, and either it asks where you want stuff or
> it goes in the current directory (or subdirectories thereof).

Maybe in [PC|MS]-DOS. In most package managers the package metadata tell the
installer what goes where. That's still true for the installers in ArcaOS,
openSUSE and windows; I'd be very surprised if it wasn't still true for, e.g.,
Debian, RedHat.

Yesd, you can choose to distribute things as a tarball, but then your talking
about not using the OS supported method.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3