Gil wrote:
>My understanding is that to DROP a compound stem frees all associated storage.
Correct.

>Freeing an individual variable or member of a compound does not.  In fact, it
>can be demonstrated that to DROP an individual member of a compound actually
>*increases* the storage used.
Also correct.

>Does RETURN from a PROCEDURE EXPOSE free storage of variables not
>EXPOSEd?  Can that be useful?
Yes: it has to. Otherwise those variables will be in limbo, since they can
never be referenced again.

This is not meant to be snide, just a citation of sorts: these behaviors were
discussed long ago when Rexx was introduced to VM/CMS, are established canon.
(Is that redundant? Can there be UNestablished canon?)