And what if a non-Unix application uses a serrvice that causes dubbing?

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin <0000042bfe9c879d-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>
Sent: Thursday, October 5, 2023 9:05 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Assembler access to USS functions

On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 11:07:03 +0000, Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:

>Where do you think process initialization gets the variable names and values?

I believe:
o If the process is initialized by init (often PID 0), init creates the environ
array.

o If the process is initialized by fork() the environ array is copied from the
parent.

o If one of the exec family of functions replaces the current process image,
  the environ array is copied from the envp[] argument.

None of these require a shell.