Just before I worked with mainframes I drew maps on a computer that had a big display, a small drawing pad and pen, and a large light table with a "puck" for tracing existing maps into the computer. Both the puck and pen worked by receiving a magnetic signal from the pad or table in order to determine its location. About once a week someone would complain that their pen was throwing the cursor all over the screen, so a new pen was ordered at maybe $500.

The light table had bunch of fluorescent bulbs inside, and you could dim them with a knob if needed. One day I noticed that when the light was either full on or full off, there was no problem with my pen. But if the dimmer was in the middle, the pen had issues. Those dimmers used triacs which work by holding back each AC wave a bit and then sharply rising. The sharp rise generates all sorts of EMF and that's what was messing with the coil in the pen.