I've got a problem. Decades ago, I made some assumptions about RACF's FACILITY class that have turned out to be wrong.

Currently, I'm working on implementing a new security rule for z/XDC, and the individual rules ("entities") can be up to 59 characters long.

Decades ago, when I was porting z/XDC's security rules from ACF2 to RACF, I made the decision to piggy-back my security rules into RACF's FACILITY class. I didn't know much about RACF then (and I still don't), and it did not occur to me that rule length would be an issue. I was wrong. It is an issue.

Yesterday, I was testing with an instance of the new rule that was 44 characters long. Boom! My "RACROUTE REQUEST=AUTH" (racheck) call failed with "ICH409I 282-054 ABEND DURING RACHECK PROCESSING". This basically means that the entity I passed (my 44-character rule) was too long for its class (FACILITY).

Ouch!

So now I have several questions that I'm hoping someone here can provide answers to.
   * What is the longest entity the FACILITY class will accept?
   * Where do I find that specific fact doc'd?
   * Is there a command that will display that information?
* Is there a catch-all class that z/XDC can use for its rules other than FACILITY?
   * Where do other vendors put their rules?

Asking for a friend [:-J]
Dave Cole