From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Leonard D Woren <ibm-main...@ldworen.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2024 7:05:11 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Technical Reason? - Why you can't encrypt load libraries (PDSE
format)?

(I read the whole thread before starting this reply. ) Steve Estle wrote on
1/13/2024 8: 28 AM: > [. . . ] > My true reason for composing this is that
we've discovered the inability to encrypt load libraries - even in PDSE format.
[. . . ] >

(I read the whole thread before starting this reply.)

Steve Estle wrote on 1/13/2024 8:28 AM:
> [...]
> My true reason for composing this is that we've discovered the inability to
> encrypt load libraries - even in PDSE format.
[...]
> I know this seems innocuous, but we'd like to encrypt as much as possible in
> our environment and due to Top Secret deficiencies we have to encrypt at high
> level qualifier level (HLQ) (all or nothing under each HLQ unfortunately).
> Given we have load module libraries under many differ HLQ's this is posing
> difficulties in moving forward with our rollout when an HLQ does have one or
> more load module libraries as part of that HLQ.  You can only imagine the
> pain of renaming a load library given all the JCL, etc that is referencing
> that library name.

So, you have poor naming conventions and a poor security system, and
you want IBM to make difficult changes which will potentially affect
all customers negatively?

> 2. If I were to submit an IBM idea, can I count on this community for some
> backing here to help in upvoting such an idea submission?

I'd vote the highest value of "no".

An aside, since I didn't keep track of which comment mentioned this
(maybe it was on an old item cross-posted from RACF-L?).  For those
concerned about ransomware, z/OS encryption of all data at rest means
that a ransomware hacker need only mess up the master key so that no
data sets can be decrypted.  No need to waste time encrypting all
data, since it's already encrypted.

/Leonard

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be
privileged.   It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you
receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any
manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please
reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was
misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your
assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.