OK.  So we've established that the key is set via software.

Software can be hacked.

And now there's only a single spit of data to focus all the effort on.  Years ago at a SHARE presentation, I caught an IBMer after the session and they admitted that I was correct.

/Leonard

P.S.  Someone has to know all the security officers in order to contact them when necessary to input the keys.