From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Rick Troth <tro...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2024 8:16 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Technical Reason? - Why you can't encrypt load libraries (PDSE
format)?

On 1/13/24 11:28, Steve Estle wrote:
> I know this seems innocuous, but we'd like to encrypt as much as possible in
> our environment ...

Forgive my tone, Steve. And please don't take this as directed at you,
but at the broader industry, especially at "seatback magazine management".

Many people use encryption like it was fairy dust: just sprinkle it
liberally and everything is safer. That's not true, and the reasons are
not immediately obvious. But the problem starts with the requirement to
/decrypt/ before data can actually be used. And if *everything* is
encrypted then there are more cases where things are getting decrypted.
I've been using encryption, both professionally and personally, for more
than three decades, and I find that I'm getting increasingly selective
day by day.

I feel your pain about certain data sets being difficult.
And don't get me started about seed keys needed for whole disk situations.

-- R; <><