"I/O gen"? -- There has not been one since MVS/ESA V5. (MVS/ESA 4.3 was the last one to support it.)

Regards,
David

On 2024-03-20 04:52, Mike Schwab wrote:
UNIT is defined in the I/O gen and is customized by each site.  3390,
SYSDA, etc may or may not be present.

On Wed, Mar 20, 2024 at 1:57 AM ITschak Mugzach
<000005a7ced721d8-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:
I have a program in Rexx that allocates a dataset using dsname and volume
serial (1) . it works well in my shop but requires a unit type (2) in
another shop. Actually the error is msg "IKJ56241I SPECIFIED UNIT IS
UNDEFINED".
Why does 1 work here and fails in another shop?

    1. ALLOC F(XXX) DA('dsname') VOLUME(volser)
    2. ALLOC F(XXX) DA('dsname') VOLUME(volser) UNIT(390)

ITschak

ITschak Mugzach
*|** IronSphere Platform* *|* *Information Security Continuous Monitoring
for z/OS, x/Linux & IBM I **| z/VM coming soon  *