From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Paul Feller
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2024 7:14 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: SMP/E

CAUTION! EXTERNAL SENDER! STOP, ASSESS, AND VERIFY Do you know this person?
Were you expecting this email? If not, report it using the Report Phishing
Button!

I'll ask if you did the UPGRADE in the same run as the RECEIVE process.  The
example from the z/OS SMP/E Commands manual shows the UPGRADE command as part
of the same run.

The following is from the SMP/E command manual.

SET BDY(ZOSTGT).
 UPGRADE.
 BYPASS(HOLDSYS)
 CHECK.

In this example, the UPGRADE command indicates incompatible changes may be made
to SMP/E data sets.  If UPGRADE is not specified, then SMP/E stops any
processing that would make incompatible changes to SMP/E data sets.  In this
example, the APPLY command would very likely fail if the UPGRADE command were
not first run.  However, once the UPGRADE command is run for a particular zone,
then all SMP/E commands are authorized to make incompatible changes to all
SMP/E data sets in that zone.

Paul