Ed Jaffe remarks:
>It's been three years since the IBM's July 2010 SOD first warned
>that z196/z114 would be the last generation to offer ESCON channels.

For the record, IBM announcement letter 109-230, issued on April 28, 2009,
contained the following statement:

"ESCONĀ® channels will be phased out. It is IBM's intent for ESCON channels
to be phased out."

The first sentence was helpfully bolded. IBM then progressively phased out
ESCON. The z10 EC/BC models were the last servers to support more than 240
directly attached ESCON channels. The z196/z114 were the last servers to
support direct ESCON connections in any number.

I think there are about three suggested solutions for the original poster
so far. In no particular order:

1. Use the Optica converter and take the ESCON Director(s) out of the loop.

2. Connect the tape library silo via Ethernet (TCP/IP), which the library
vendor evidently supports.

3. Use CHPID type OSC (OSA-ICC) via an OSA-Express 1000BASE-T adapter and
connect via that path. OSC is supported on the very latest OSA-Express5S
1000BASE-T and prior adapters.

Any other suggestions and/or discussions about these options?

Timothy Sipples
GMU VCT Architect Executive (Based in Singapore)
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com