From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of George Henke
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:31 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: VISARA Consoles FICON Get 505, 510

Has anyone converted VISARA consoles from ESCON to FICON?

They work fine as ESCON, but will not talk to z/OS as FICON.

They run off of ESCON and FICON directors respectively.

We have done 3 PORs and each time the console's get either a 505 or a 510.

We need VISARAs for the LMU interface for the STK SILOs, but they also
double as system consoles.

We are going zEC12 which is pure FICON.

The OPTICA PRISM ESCON Converters which IBM recommends must be direct to
the device, they cannot go through an ESCON director.

So we are forced to make them FICON and need them working.

I suppose a workaround would be to attach the ESCON VISARAs through OPTICA
PRISM ESCON Converters directly to the CEC, instead of the ESCON director.

We are MULTISYSTEM with 4 LPARs with EMIFed CHPIDs.

--
George Henke
(C) 845 401 5614

"Email Firewall" made the following annotations.

Warning:
All e-mail sent to this address will be received by the corporate e-mail
system, and is subject to archival and review by someone other than the
recipient.  This e-mail may contain proprietary information and is intended
only for the use of the intended recipient(s).  If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that you have received this
message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in
error, please notify the sender immediately.