Thank you very much, Jerry, for this very useful feedback.

Yes, we are using the Coax Box add-on and having just horrendous problems
not only with it but with the 3074 itself.

We have learned that the Visara FICON product has only 5 customers and has
been available for only since Jan 1.

This looks and feels more like beta testing, the bleeding edge, than
implementation of a real product,

The omission of ESCON from the zEC12 is proving to be a fatal mistake.  It
is forcing us to use these kind of unvetted products.

These kind of HW oversights are reminiscent of the days when IBM
prematurely converted from powerful Bi-Polar chips to underpowdered CMOS
chips and customers had to flee back to the Bi-Polar boxes.

When will IBM learn.

But then Watts Humphrey who put the "z" in z/OS, z/VSE, and z/VM, which
means literally zero-tolerance for downtime, is no longer there; he retired
and died in 2010.

Such unconscious mistakes would not occur if he were still around.

.

George Henke
(C) 845 401 5614