Why not build the object code for the open source packages
using the UNIX file system etc. (and makefile, if you like)
and only put your own code which makes these things available
to your onsite callers in PDSes? I believe that there is no need
to put the open source packages into your home grown SCM system.
As there will be no "normal" maintenance to them, this doesn't make
sense, IMO.

This is what we do ...

we then link the open source "object code" to the gateway functions
that make it available to our onsite callers, and only the gateway
functions (which is code of our own) it put into our (also home grown)
SCM systems. (Or: we call the open source objects dynamically, BTW).

The open source code used is of course archived, too, but not in
our SCM system. In the worst case: because it's open source,
you always can retrieve it again from outside ...

Kind regards

Bernd