Am 10.08.2013 05:01, schrieb Paul Gilmartin:
On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 03:53:17 +0200, Bernd Oppolzer wrote:

There was a time when there were no fancy compiler options
like DLL, RENT, LONGNAME etc., and even then C programs
had to be (and could be) ported to the mainframe, and that's the
time when I started that business, and #pragma map was my primary
option. As long as we are in the C world, everything is fine, because
every C source includes a header, which translates the long names
into short names (for the linker) by a large list of #pragma map
statements - but when other languages try to call us (be it COBOL,
FORTRAN, or PL/1), they use the short (8 char) uppercase names.

Do you feel that way only because it's so tedious to multi-punch
those lowercase characters on your 029 keypunch?
No, because I don't like to be forced to use the
RENT option implied by the DLL option. Our solution
is simple, secure and cost-effective, and it makes DLL-like
libraries possible even for not LE enabled ASSEMBLER callers etc. -
in fact it's a long story, and the target was to integrate the C language
into an environment, where the programming languages were only
ASSEMBLER and PL/1 until that time, where all calls are dynamic
(using MVS LOAD) and all modules are compiled using NORENT and
are traditional load modules. Same restrictions apply until today -
but we don't feel regard this as a restriction.

There was a time from 2003 to 2006, when our PL/1 modules were
compiled with the RENT option, because the EP compiler didn't support
NORENT first, but due to problems with that (for example: USE COUNT
overflow in certain IMS environments), we changed it back to NORENT
in 2006. Our C modules were always NORENT.

The home grown DLL mechanism (which supports all languages) was developed
in 1995, already. It works without problems until today.

Kind regards

Bernd