On 17 August 2013 13:54, Walt Farrell <walt.farr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Where possible, you can switch to the use of password phrases rather than
> passwords. You're right that the brute fore attacks are increasingly simple
> for mere 8-byte passwords, but password phrases give you longer values
> (minimum 14 by default, though you can decrease that to 9 with an exit) that
> will be harder. And with commonly available technology it's perhaps
> impossible today if you have only a slightly longer string.

It would be a better idea if IBM didn't require (on z/OS RACF) that
all userids continue to have a password! Why would an attacker bother
to attack the phrase when there is certain to be a short password with
a very restricted character set to attack? Of course you can write a
program to set the encrypted password to a value that is not the
result of encrypting a userid with a valid password. We put this into
our password synch/reset product primarily to make it easy to set
things up so a user with a phrase can have a password that isn't known
to the administrator or the user, but it has the additional advantage
of enlarging the domain of things to attack by "brute force" methods.

Tony H.